Wednesday, January 7, 2015

DIY River Rock Kitchen Backsplash

I decided that the laminate countertop that the previous owners thought would do as a backsplash HAD TO GO. Since it seemed to be a huge task in itself to remove the laminate, I wanted to try to go over it. I know, I'm not all that bright. Well going over the laminate with mortar wasn't the best idea. The guy at Lowe's told me it would work. He called 3 different people to make sure before I bought the buckets and created a disaster. But they were wrong. 


I got the river rocks at Walmart. 



Things were going well at first..




But as soon as I started to work behind the stove every single one of them slid down the wall and behind the stove. GREAT.

I realized the only reason the others were staying in place was because the kitchen countertop was the only thing holding them up. The rocks at the very bottom that met the wall and countertop were the foundation to ALL of the rocks.

So now I have to find something that adheres the rocks to the wall better. Possibly some type of tile adhesive. I will persevere! And I will update when I find something that works! So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment